Bradwell Parish Council Code of Conduct
Pursuant to section 27 of the Localism Act 2011, Bradwell Parish Council (‘the Council’) has adopted this Code of Conduct, at its meeting held on 28th August 2012, to promote and maintain high standards of behaviour by its members and co-opted members whenever they conduct the business of the Council including the business of the office to which they were elected or appointed or when they claim to act or give the impression of acting as a representative of the Council.
This Code of Conduct is based on the principles of selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty, and leadership.
For the purposes of this Code, a ‘co-opted member’ is a person who is not a member of the Council but who is either a member of any committee or sub-committee of the Council, or a member of, and represents the Council on any joint committee or joint sub-committee of the Council, and who is entitled to vote on any question that falls to be decided at any meeting of that committee or sub-committee.
For the purposes of this Code, a ‘meeting’ is a meeting of the Council, any of its committees, sub-committees, joint committees or joint sub-committees.
For the purposes of this Code, and unless otherwise expressed, a reference to a member of the Council includes a co-opted member of the Council.
When a member of the Council acts, claims to act or gives the impression of acting as a representative of the Council, he/she has the following obligations.
1. He/she shall behave in such a way that a reasonable person would regard as respectful.
2. He/she shall not act in a way which a reasonable person would regard as bullying or intimidatory.
3. He/she shall not seek to improperly confer an advantage or disadvantage on any person.
4. He/she shall use the resources of the Council in accordance with its requirements.
5. He/she shall not disclose information which is confidential or where disclosure is prohibited by law.
Registration of interests
6. Within 28 days of this Code being adopted by the Council, or the member’s election or the co-opted member’s appointment (where that is later), he/she shall register with the Monitoring Officer any Disclosable Pecuniary Interests (see ‘Register of Members’ Interests’ form, shown at the bottom of this page, for definitions).
7. Upon the re-election of a member or the re-appointment of a co-opted member, he/she shall within 28 days re-register with the Monitoring Officer any Disclosable Pecuniary Interests.
8. A member shall register with the Monitoring Officer any change to Disclosable Pecuniary Interests or new Disclosable Pecuniary Interests within 28 days of becoming aware of it.
9. A member need only declare the existence but not the details of any interest which the Monitoring Officer agrees is a ‘sensitive interest’. A sensitive interest is one which, if disclosed on a public register, could lead the member or a person connected with the member to be subject to violence or intimidation.
Declaration of interests at meetings
10. Where a matter arises at a meeting which relates to a Disclosable Pecuniary Interest the member shall not participate in a discussion or vote on the matter. He/she only has to declare what his/her interest is if it is not already entered in the member’s register of interests or if he/she has not notified the Monitoring Officer of it.
11 Where a matter arises at a meeting which relates to a Disclosable Pecuniary Interest which is a sensitive interest, the member shall not participate in a discussion or vote on the matter. If it is a sensitive interest which has not already been disclosed to the Monitoring Officer, the member shall disclose he/she has an interest but not the nature of it.
12 When a matter arises at a meeting in which a member declares a personal interest, the interest and the reasons for it shall be recorded in the minutes of that meeting. A member may decide to refrain from speaking or voting on the matter, and any such decision shall be recorded in the minutes. The member shall not be required to include the item within his/her register of interests, unless it is also a Disclosable Pecuniary Interest.’
13 On a written request made to the Council’s proper officer, the Council may grant a member a dispensation to participate in a discussion and vote on a matter at a meeting, even if he/she has a Disclosable Pecuniary Interest, if the Council believes that the number of members otherwise prohibited from taking part in the meeting would impede the transaction of the business; or it is in the interests of the inhabitants in the Council’s area to allow the member to take part or it is otherwise appropriate to grant a dispensation.
Regiister of Members' Interests
The register of members' interests form, which all members of Bradwell Parish Council have to complete, is shown below. Individual members' responses are displayed underneath ('nil' responses in respect of any question are not shown).
BRADWELL PARISH COUNCIL
REGISTER OF MEMBERS’ INTERESTS
REGISTER OF MEMBERS’ INTERESTS
These are the interests which you are required to register by virtue of Section 30 of the Localism Act 2011.
It is a breach of the Code and an offence to fail to disclose a registerable interest within 28 days of taking office with the Council or within 28 days of declaring a new interest at a meeting.
You must register your interests and those of your spouse or civil partner or a person with whom you live as a spouse or civil partner.
(a) Please state in full the names of any organisations referred to rather than use abbreviations or acronyms.
(b) Please if possible type your responses.
(c) Where there is no interest please write ‘NONE’.
(d) There is no need to register ‘sensitive information’ provided the Monitoring Officer agrees. ‘Sensitive information’ is information which, if made public, could lead you or a person connected to you being subjected to violence or intimidation.
Any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain by me or my spouse/partner (this includes company directorships, but only if you receive payment or other gain, including expenses, in return)
Names of people or organisations who pay or have paid or given a financial benefit towards
(i) my appointment with the Council, or
(ii) the expenses I incur in carrying out my duties for the Council
(this does not include expenses paid by the Authority but does include payment or financial benefit from a Trade Union)
Name of any company or other body which has a place of business or owns land in the Council’s area and in which I or my spouse/partner have shares or other securities with a nominal value of more than £25,000, or are more than 1% of the total issued share capital or of any one class of share capital
Contracts between the Council and (a) me (or my spouse/partner); (b) a firm in which I am (or my spouse/partner is) a business partner; (c) a company of which I am (or my spouse/partner is) a director; (d) a company or other body in which I have (or my spouse/partner has) shares or other securities. (list contracts which are for goods, services or works. Do not list contracts which have been completed)
Land and Property
Address or description of:
(a) Land or premises in the Council’s area which are owned or leased by me (or my spouse/partner) or in which there is another beneficial interest.
(if necessary, in order to clearly identify your land, a plan should be attached edging it in red)
1) Keith Baker
Land and Property – 18 Sycamore Avenue, Bradwell, Gt Yarmouth, NR31 8NE
2) Robert Carrier
Land and Property – 20 Whinchat Way, Bradwell, Gt Yarmouth, NR31 8SD
3) Brian Ernest Comer
Employment – SIG Trading Ltd., Unit 27, White Lodge Trading Estate, Hall Road, Norwich, NR4 6DQ
Land and Property – 73 Laurel Drive, Bradwell, Gt Yarmouth, NR31 8PH
4) John William Francis
Land and Property – Cranwood, Busseys Loke, Bradwell, Gt Yarmouth, NR31 8HG
5) Edward Charles Howlett
Land and Property – 65 Willow Avenue, Bradwell, Gt Yarmouth, NR31 8JH
6) Joanna Jones
Employment – PWC, 3 Whitefriars Court., Norwich
Employment – Peter Jones - Morrisons plc, Gorleston, Gt Yarmouth
Land and Property – Freehold - 255 El Alamein Way, Bradwell, Gt Yarmouth, NR31 8TX
Land and Property – Rental of allotment no 1a, at the Cley Road site, Bradwell, Gt Yarmouth
7) Edward James Macdonald
Employment – Honorarium received as Groundsman, Bradwell Bowling Club
Land and Property – 4 Clay Lane, Bradwell, Gt Yarmouth, NR31 9DH
8) John Shaw
Employment – XL Cleaning Co., Caister, Norfolk
Land and Property – 52 Sunninghill Close, Bradwell, Gt Yarmouth, NR31 9JB
9) Roger Leslie Squires
Land and Property – 10 Holly Avenue, Bradwell, Gt Yarmouth, NR31 8NL
10) Trevor Wainwright
Land and Property – 11 Lapwing Close, Bradwell, Gt Yarmouth, NR31 8SF
11) Christopher Henry George Wells
Land and Property – 57 Holly Avenue, Bradwell, Gt Yarmouth, NR31 8NL